I tried a fun little experiment today:
Slow Cooker Blackberry Applesauce
- 4 Honeycrisp apples – cored, chopped (but not peeled – that would require far too much effort)
- 1 package of blackberries
- 1 cup of water
- Whatever was left in my cinnamon shaker!
Slow cooked it for about 5 hours on high. Mashed it up with a potato masher. I had thought about using strawberries, but blackberries seemed naturally sweeter, and I didn’t want to add any sugar. You could add agave, honey, Truvia, whatever, but I don’t really have a sweet tooth in that department – so I didn’t. I ate it hot, and I was a huge fan! I’ll see how it holds up tomorrow. I need to get some cinnamon sticks to make some regular applesauce. I like it really cinnamon-y! Bonus: makes the house smell amazing!
It’s never too long before the dog vultures swoop in. Boyd got a little lick in. I still ate it.
Although I haven’t talked about it a ton on the blog, but we’re 24 days in and it’s going well. It’s FUN! It’s extra fun doing it with my sister-in-law so we can send each other texts like,”Are you hungry?” Lol.
Well, I neglected to do the first two weeks of homework. But I’m going to redeem myself with this post. Our homework this week is to set some specific goals! I did set some goals at the beginning of the year, but now’s a good time to do a little revision!
- Run at least on race before the end of the year. I’ve only run two this entire year. I hate coughing up registration fees, but it’s definitely motivational, especially for longer distances. I was inspired by spectating at RNR Denver!
I wish I could find a half marathon to do, but we’ll be out of town the week of the Boulder race (MINI VACATION!!) and I haven’t seen any others. Can you BELIEVE I’ve never run a half? My longest race was Frosty’s Frozen 10 Mile. I need something close to my house or I will never commit to doing it. I am a hermit after all.
- Run a 5k in under 21 minutes. I’ve done it at least twice before (though never in a race). It’s not cute on me, but I’m going to do it. And this is perfect weather for it. I just need to find a decent place to do it without trippy sidewalks and stop lights.
- Run lighter. Ugh. It has to be said. I’ve been really hazy about my goals in this area. Mostly because I’m pretty content right now, but I have to remember that this will help me achieve my other running goals. So today (while running) I came up with the number 6. I’ve lost 1 or 2 so far, so I’m going for a grand total of 7 by Thanksgiving. That is going to take some serious sticking to the nutrition plan. However, I’m proud to say, I haven’t missed a day of logging my nutrition. 24 straight days of logging all my meals!!! The My Fitness Pal app is really easy to use…. especially for someone who eats are repetitively as me English muffins, eggs, sweet potato fries, repeat! Bonus: I still want to run a marathon someday soon. A fast one. I’m not the “finishing is winning” type although I wish I was.
- Practice my double unders 25x. Why can’t I get those stupid things?!?!?! I’m not going to say DO double unders because I’m starting to doubt that I can. But I don’t doubt that I can practice!
- Get my grocery budget under control. What’s up with that? There are only two of us. Can we blame this on moving from Minnesota to Denver? We always feel like things are super cheap when we grocery shop in Winona or Wabasha! I plan to use the money I save on shoes!
- Take dance classes with Kevin James. We’re doing it! We just have to figure out which class to start with — starting October 8th. Kevin chose taking dance classes together over going to CrossFit. Slacker. Lol. Of course, I will be just like J.Lo in Shall We Dance. Obviously.
- Work on my biz.
- Give out business cards!
- Work on some specific programs — adults, Pre-K, technology integration, etc.
- My real goal is to have 20-25 students (I’m currently at about 13-14). But I won’t count that as a goal since I can’t force it to happen.
- Keep up my awesome spreadsheet!
- Research performance opportunities for my students.
- Create and email the first newsletter!
- Budget my studio’s revenue! <—- Fun part!
- Go to a (preferably classical) concert. I’m not putting go to the ballet. That’s cheating since we already have the tickets!
- Read the entire New Testament in October. I started this yesterday. I came close to reading it all once in 30 days with my church in the DR, but didn’t quite make it. I’m following an adapted version of this schedule.
- Go on a small vacation… and plan a BIG ONE! We have yet to really go on any vacation.. we’ve barely gone away for a weekend! And that includes our honeymoon, birthdays, and first anniversary! Party due to procrastination, indecisiveness, and poor planning. We’re planning to go away for a long weekend in two weeks! I can’t wait.
- Update these goals by November 1. No slacking. I hope I remember.
I probably already bit off more than I can chew (CLASSIC!!!), but I tried to make them attainable.
Any new goals for this month? Only a few months left in 2012!!
Have you ever made apple sauce? Do you have any of those cool applesauce making tools?!?! Those things look awesome.
Apple, applesauce, or apple juice? Definitely not juice. An apple with PB2 or homemade applesauce. Kevin would say apple crisp!
P.S. THE BEST SANDWICH EVER!!! Seriously!!!