I knew Kevin would not be a fan of any cookie recipe with “itty bitty” in the title. He prefers his cookies with words like “monster” perhaps “cowboy” in the title.
However, he’s a huge carrot cake fan so I guess he decided to let this one slide!
Itty Bitty Carrot Cake Cookies (via Oh She Glows)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I’m sure other flours would work!)
- 1/4 cup regular oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4-1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots, packed
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, room temperature <— I organic agave nectar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed for about 25 seconds in microwave <— I subbed Melt buttery spread — it has coconut in it!!
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Directions: Preheat oven to 350F and line 1 baking sheet with parchment or a non-stick mat. Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and oats in a large bowl. Add in the nuts, coconut, raisins, and shredded carrots. In a small bowl mix the maple syrup, softened coconut oil, vanilla, and freshly grated ginger. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until combined.
Drop about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough onto lined baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. Shape into a ball with hands. Bake for about 12 minutes and cool for 10 minutes on a baking rack.
Yield: 15 bite-sized cookies.
Nutritional info: (per cookie): 54kcals, 2 grams fat, 8 grams carbs, 1 gram fibre, 1 gram protein, 5 grams sugar.
I’m sure the frosting adds a few extra calories, but I made two frosted ones for Kevin’s after-work snack! Today was another half-day for me — hooray!
These cookies came about because I found unsweetened coconut in Super Target last night!!! I was so happy! I’ve been looking for it forever… in all the wrong places, but still!!!
After I pulled the cookies out of the oven, I headed to the apartment’s gym armed with my trusty envelope notes & my mat.
I did a 1-mile walk/jog warm-up, and then jumped into this little treat (via BodyRock). Each move was performed for 50 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. The 10 seconds of rest is a joke. Trust me. That’s how long it took me to look at the envelope to see what the next move was.
- 10 x High Knees & 10 x Mountain Climbers
- 2 x Squat Jumps & 2 x Push-ups & 1 x Tuck Jumps
- Centre to Elbow Jump (L&R) & 2 x leg jumps
- Clean & Press & Squat & Press & Push Up
- Tuck Jumps x 5 & ½ Burpee & squat hold x 5
- Spider Knee Push up & Straight Leg Push Up (L&R)
- Switch Lunge & Press
- Side Lunge x 2 & L & R Side Punch & 2 Tuck Jumps
- 10 x Squat & 10 x Squat Jumps
- Elbow to Knee jumps 10 x each side
- Wide leg jumps & Push up
- Speed run
It was brutal, but only 12 minutes. My legs are crazy sore from all the stairs I’ve been doing so I have no clue why I decided to do this workout. I just wanted to try it. A new workout is like a new treat for me! Haha.
Plus I had this new app to play with:
It’s actually a Crossfit tool (it’s called like 4 Time Crossfit – just search for Tabata Timer), but can be adapted for any kind of Tabata or HITT workouts. I loved this workout because it doesn’t waste time. I hate wasting time in workouts. I mean, you have 10 seconds “off”, but I promise you it’s nothing. I finished off running for a grand total of 5.8 miles (including the warm-up).
And now I’m ready for some weekend. Unfortunately, Kev-kev was not at the gym with me all weekend so he’s dragged me to our real gym. I’m just going to watch Jeopardy! :)
Are you a carrot cake fan? If not, what’s your favorite kind of cake? I think carrot cake IS my favorite, but I love the frosting the most!!!!!!
Have you ever tried Tabata/BodyRock/Crossfit? On & off. I always have a tendency to seriously overdo them and not be able to sit up for a few days. It’s all those burpees!!
Some historic Cookie Friday cookies:
Soft Gingersnap Cookies with White Chocolate Chunks
Chocolate Nutella Cookies
Peanut Butter Snickers Cookies
Best, Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies